Essays, Interviews, Reviews, Podcasts from other websites
- A short article about creative writing as an academic discipline that I wrote with my friend Bob for The Guardian.
- The How & The Why: podcast of a live discussion in Los Angeles between Tuna Bora (artist), Lon Koontz (editor) and me, mostly about the process of working on Sing for Life: Tin Pan Alley but also quite a bit about commas.
- Unpublished extract from “Narrative Proximity in the work of Nelson Algren”, an academic essay published in American, British and Canadian Studies.
- Podcast of a public lecture, “Berlin, Seventh of November–History in Nonhistorical Fiction”, at the London School of Economics.
- “Too Many Notes: A Selective History of Punk Rock Guitar Solos”, an essay written for (insert title here) in 2001.